To employ a domestic helper, you need a bond of SGD5000. This is a pledge to pay the government if you break the law or the conditions governing the employment of a helper.
Bonds usually take the form of an insurance. The insurers guarantee to pay the government should you break the rules; then the insurers pursue you for the money.
When will the bond be discharged?
The security bond liability will be discharged if you meet all these conditions:
1. The Work Permit of the domestic helpers have been cancelled
2. The domestic helper has returned home
3. You did not breach any of the conditions of the bond
How long does it take for the bond to be discharged?
MOM usually takes a week to discharge the security bond after the domestic helper have left Singapore, provided that all conditions are met.
Once the security bond is discharged, you will be notified by post. At the same time, MOM will also send the discharge of liabilities letter to your insurance company.
When will your bond be forfeited?
Under these circumstances, your bond may be forfeited. This includes:
1. Either you or your domestic helper violates the condition of the Work Permit or Security Bond
2. You did not pay the domestic helper’s salary on time
3. You fail to send her back when her Work Permit is expired, revoked or cancelled.
4. Your domestic helper goes missing. MOM states that if the domestic helper goes missing, half of the security bond will be forfeited if the employer has made reasonable effort to locate her and filed a police report.
When are you not liable for the helper’s violations?
MOM states that you will be not be liable for your helper’s violations (such as those relating to pregnancy) if you can prove that you have:
1. Informed her of the Work Permit Conditions that she is required to comply with
2. Reported the violation when you first become aware of it
Can i take up additional coverage to limit my liability?
You may limit your liability on the SGD5000 Security Bond to SGD250 if you were to purchase an optional benefit. This optional benefit covers the reimbursement of indemnity paid to insurer with an Excess of SGD250. This is provided that the breach of the $5,000 Security Bond is not due to your negligence or fault.
For more information, please feel free to contact one of the best maid agencies in Singapore for more information.